It’s a new year, and I’ve decided to embark on an adventure. This adventure will probably take more than a year, but I’m going to try to paint or collage 100 birds! Birds are one of my favorite subjects and there are thousands and thousands of species to choose from. Although I’m going to try and do as many different species as I can, I can’t promise that I won’t be sticking with a favourite or two! (Crows come to mind.)
Although I have done a couple of bird paintings fairly recently, I will start from when I decided to do the series, which was today!
This is a small watercolour, one of the contenders to enter the Twitter Art Exhibit this year. She is a lovely female cardinal and I’ve named her Northern Lady.
This summer has been “The Summer of the Butterfly” for me. I brought in three tiny caterpillars into the house to raise into Monarch butterflies; Jeremy, Victoria and Elizabeth! Sadly, Victoria didn’t make it, but the other two grew into beautiful butterflies that got released into my garden.
This inspired me to start a series of butterflies. The first one is “Winging It”, 12″ X 12″ collage and mixed media.
I’m currently working on another one which will be big and blue!
A while ago, I was going through some painted watercolor papers that were either failed attempts at something, or experiments gone wrong. Instead of throwing them away, I decided to cut them up into ACEO-sized cards and experiment with them further. I picked out interesting parts of the papers that had neat colours or textures and cut them into 2.5″ X 3.5″ pieces. Then they sat for another few months in a bag in my studio.
Yesterday, looking for something to do, I found them! I got out my small Gelli plate and added some fun textures, then got out some of my scrap collage papers. I’ve really been enjoying my coneflowers, daisies (although they are done blooming now), and Black Eyed Susans in my garden. I used them for inspiration for these little art cards.
And for those of you following the progress on the fawn collage, here is the finished version. This piece is now at ARTspace Gallery in Chatham, ON.
This little girl is keeping me company right now! She’s on the largest canvas I’ve used yet: 36″ X 24″. I find that taking a picture and putting it on the computer helps me see things that need to be changed. I see some already! There will be some shadows added later on, and stayed tuned to see some surprises I have in store.
Today I’ve started a new collage! I love to paint or collage animals, especially those that are local to my area in Southwestern Ontario. It’s spring, and with it brings new life. I decided to do a torn paper collage of a young fawn. This canvas will be the largest one I’ve done so far at 36″ X 24″.
This morning I finished my preliminary drawing on a very lightweight paper. If you were following me when I showed how I did my fox collage, you’ll remember that I cut out the shape of the animal and adhere it to the canvas after I have completed the background. I don’t always do it this way, but with the kind of background that I’m going to do, it makes it much easier.
Here is my drawing. Reference photo courtesy of Rodney Campbell at Paint My Photo website.
I’ve been working on Harvey all morning, and he now has a face! I think I still have a bit of work to do on the eyes, but he’s coming along. You can’t really see it in the picture, but he has a few smile lines, and a light smattering of freckles. I think he looks like a nice guy. Also, I think he looks slightly surprised, maybe because he doesn’t have a body.
Last summer, I signed up to volunteer at the Wallaceburg Museum. When they found out I was an artist, they seemed pretty excited! The volunteers that build and set up displays have called on me a few times for things that they were stuck with, and asked it I could tackle the job.
So far, I’ve made some non-antique lanterns and lamps look antique, and I’ve restored a horse that was attached to a small buggy, that might have been a buggy salesman’s sample. The other day they called and asked if I could put a face on a mannequin head that they wanted to use for a display. I told them that I’d come up and look at it. I saw that it was a styrofoam head, and that one of the volunteers had added a bit to the chin and ears, and brows. He thought the eyes looked too small, so had carved them out a bit.
I decided that I would take on the challenge! I think I will try to fill the eyes back in a little bit. I bought some flesh-tone craft paint, and with my other acrylics will try to make this look like a real man!
Here his is before I start working on him. I’ve decided to name him Harvey. I’ll keep you posted as I go along. Wish me luck!